Sunday, September 28, 2008

Soft Sugar Cookies



This is one of my favorite comfort foods. These cookies are so soft and moist. They're also big and fluffy! I got this recipe from an old visiting teaching companion in my previous ward.

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder


Cream butter and sugar. Let the butter and sugar mix for a few minutes. Make sure the butter is soft. Not hard or melted. It really makes a difference.

Add eggs. Mix just until blended.

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add to sugar mixture. Add more flour is mixture is too sticky.

Refrigerate overnight. I usually just refrigerate a few hours until the mixture is chilled.

Roll out and cut out with shapes. I like my cookies thick so I roll out my dough about 1/4 -1/2 thick.

Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Sometimes I only cook my for about 5 minutes because I like my cookies soft. Usually they come out soft but not doughy.

Cool and frost.

I'm still searching for the perfect frosting. For now I use the one from Betty Crocker.

Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 to 2 tbsp milk

Mix powdered sugar and butter on low speed.

Stir in vanilla and 1 tbsp of milk. Gradually beat just enough milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable.

No comments: